You are a guest user Click to join the site

Welcome Guest

Welcome to drugbuyersguide, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Drug Buyers Guide Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

The War On Drugs

Slammer

• Group:  Grand Poobah
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  894

Perhaps my favorite debater and pro drug legalization activist of all times was William F. Buckley Jr.

Although he was a Republican hawk, which I'm most certainly not, I do support his "leftist" view that the "War on Drugs" is a complete failure, and in fact drugs should be legalized and taxed for the betterment of our society, our freedoms, and our economy.

Here is just one clip of many of WFB discussing the issue on his PBS show "Firing Line" many years ago.

They'll never be such a fine, gentleman like, calm, witty, and intelligent debtor and founder of the National Review, as Mr. William F. Buckley Jr.

God rest your soul Mr. Buckley. You truly inspired me starting from Elementary School right through University and up until your last few years.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Tribute Video to the late WFB ( 1925-2008).

Watch how William F. Bckley FJr.'s eyes twinkle and his tongue start to flicker from side to side like a lizard when he joyfully jostles with his opponent and goes for the kill. Nobody ever stood a chance against this icon due to his quick wit, knowledge of facts, logic, high intellect, and an amazing way of using rare vocabulary which very few understood - even the brightest of the bright.

Why Marijuana is illegal and Tobacco is not - Noam Chomsky

Another person whom I really respect, especially his political views, is Noam Chomsky. In fact, though William F.Buckley Jr. and Noam Chomsky are compete polar opposites on EVERY issue known to mankind, they do however that the "War on Drugs" is a failure and they should be legalized.

Aside from Chomsky's English linguistic and syntax theories which are so complex that they can turn a sane man insane, as they did to me in Graduate School, I also really love listening to his political and social speeches as well as reading his nwspaper columns published by MIT, where he happens to be a professor. Would I ever love to be in his class, Though, a colleague of mine was fortunate to have him as a teacher. I have the pictures to prove it, too.

Ron Paul - Legalize all Drugs

Another guy I really admire is Dr. Ron Paul. A true Libertarian at heart who doesn't follow the Republican nor Democratic lines. The "powers to be" keep him from ever getting enough momentum and possibly form a third party and win the national election. But he has an amazing amount of grass roots support from the youth (ironically at being 77 yrs old) and open-minded internet users who are not brainwashed by certain mass media such as Fox News, or I hate to say it, but even CNN.now too.

• Members

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  113

I Heart Ron Paul..... :wub:

I Heart Ron Paul..... :wub:

Yes, so do I Dosh4, and I'm not even an American

Firing Line: Part 1 of 4 - Ron Paul and William F.Buckley (1988)

Here is one of the four part clips of a MUCH younger Ron Paul appearing on Buckley's "Firing Line" TV program. You can upload the rest if you like, as I won't be out of courtesy to those who already think thgis threads sucks the big one.

Nevertheless, one of many great attributes of Dr. Ron Paul is that his Libertarian principles, values, and viewpoints have remained ABSOLUTELY consistent throughout his entire poiltical life, not like so many other fakes who seem to "flip-flop" day to day depending on where the the status quo is leaning

You can upload the other three segments on Youtube if you find them at all interesting. I'm betting most of you aren't. But that's OK for I hope some members find these classic clips of some interest (as I do) - and not the usual song and dance stuff for a bit.

Believe it or not, as a youngster, when my friends were all into cartoons and playing Atari Vision, my past time and favorite show was watching "Firing Line" with my Father. Fond, fond memories of that.

Yes, I was an odd-ball kid to some:) But, something about the topics on "Firing Line" captivated me much more than Smurfs or Winnie the Pooh.

A Polite Request

As a favor to myself and the few, or possibly more than a few, who may find these clips interesting and wish to add RELEVANT ones too, please by all means do so BUT keep this thread somewhat serious in nature and not the usual "fun and games" posts which, myself very much included, have all come to love and enjoy so very much in the already numerous JOKE Threads. Please refrain from doing so in here.

I realize that may be a lot to ask for some, but I would truly appreciate it and in turn one day pay I promise to pay you back in spades. One way or another. (Blondie - but don't post it in here)

Thanks you for your understanding and respecting my simple wishes,

Slammer

I don't have a lot of time for WFB, I'm more of a Gore Vidal person. I'd post the clip of them fighting at the democratic national convention, but I don't have the time.

I don't have a lot of time for WFB, I'm more of a Gore Vidal person. I'd post the clip of them fighting at the democratic national convention, but I don't have the time.

Hey Jsarus. Always nice to hear from :)

Bill Buckley vs. Gore Vidal: Their 1968 infamous exchange

I like Gore Vidal a lot too. Sadly, as you probably know, another legend of intelligent political and social discourse just passed away a few months ago at the age of 86, I do believe And he never made any secrets about his occasional drug use either, but that had nothing to do with his death.

Here is that classic clip you were mentioning about. One of the first and only times Buckley actually "loses" it on a guest and I think calls him "gay" and then threatens to punch Vidal in the face. Nice, eh! Mind you, I haven't watched it for a year or so, so I might be mistaken. Those two guys really didn't like each other, and never did kiss and make up.

This is only a small clip of the entire debate which is easily available in its entirety (many clips) for those who wish to watch it all. But I won't be posting them in here.

I can remember watching this episode "live" on PBS when I was about 15 years old. My eyes were glued to the TV in anticipation for Buckley to get his turn to speak. God I miss that guy.

Now the airways are filled with 2 minute soundbite debates, with people screaming at one another and ignoring all basis of facts and reality. People just don't have the patience or time to actually sit down and listen things through. It's no wonder that TV personalities claiming to be political and social commentators such as like Bill O' Reiley from Fox TV or Rush Limbaugh are so popular among the masses.

Bill Buckley: Cigarettes, illegal drugs, and hypocrisy - 1988

Here's a great video clip featuring comedian/political commentator Bill Maher. I dedicate this to my good friend Troubadour who was the 1st person to reach out to me at DBG in a VERY kindly worded PM politely requesting me to be more discreet on the post I had just made 5 seconds prior. Wow!

In so doing, I learned a lot from him of what and what not to say in public, for at the time I was a complete newbie.He could have been a smart-ass and flamed me out, but he was very kind, informative, and completely understood that my intentions of the post were to help others out.

Anyways, in time Troub' and I became very good friends and helped brighten each others day (and some others too) with our joking around and having fun on this great site we both call "home" sometimes. However, we lost contact with each other for several months, so it's been my great pleasure and honor to have found my great DBG friend once again,

Therefore, I find it fitting, to post a clip of one of Troub's favorite TV personalities who just so happens to not only be funny and full of wit and sarcasm, but also extremely clever, intelligent well-versed on of today's social, economic, and political problems.

More specifically, "The War on Drugs" and the governments trickery and deception between themselves and the lobbyists of the powerful pharmaceutical companies which actually run the "show" from behind the scenes in the guise of helping the nation overcome medical ailments - both physical and psychological - though highly addictive drugs (which needs no elaboration) instead of using natural remedies such as marijuana, for example. Anyways.....

Enjoy! (Sorry for the poor picture quality as it's quite old)

Bill Maher on Drugs - Dedicated to my DBG buddy, Troubadour

Here's a great video clip featuring comedian/political commentator Bill Maher.

Screw you Slammer, Bill Maher is a threat to humanity, we've already established that.

Screw you Slammer, Bill Maher is a threat to humanity, we've already established that.

Go away, thread wrecker!

Swoosh...

S

Archived