Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Welcome Guest

Welcome to drugbuyersguide, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Drug Buyers Guide Forum by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Anti Spyware


Debon

Recommended Posts

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Reputation:   2
  • Joined:  07/18/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Does anyone have a recommended anti spyware/anti adware?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

  • Group:  Grand Poobah
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  894
  • Reputation:   341
  • Joined:  08/04/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Does anyone have a recommended anti spyware/anti adware?

I've used the free version of Spybot Search and Destroy for 5 years or so now and have never had any problems with it on both Windows XP and Seven. Just keep it regularly updated.

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Reputation:   2
  • Joined:  07/18/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I've used the free version of Spybot Search and Destroy for 5 years or so now and have never had any problems with it on both Windows XP and Seven. Just keep it regularly updated.

http://download.cnet...4-10122137.html

Thanks Slammer I like a free version cant see paying a yearly membership. Seems like most sites now have some sort of adware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Reputation:   7
  • Joined:  12/05/2011
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Reputation:   3
  • Joined:  08/13/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Microsoft Security Essentials seems to do the trick these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use Advanced SystemCare free and of course CCleaner, also free. Have had good results and no problems. Spybot and Malwarebytes never did seem to find much of the bad stuff. I've heard many also like SuperAntiSpyware. (also free)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Reputation:   2
  • Joined:  07/18/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

everything you need to know:

http://www.selectrea...-removal-guide/

Very interesting site. Thanks. I have installed Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware. Seems that the SAS catches one or two that spybot doesnt. Of course I dont run them at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  99
  • Reputation:   48
  • Joined:  03/24/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I use MSE along with Malwarebytes. I doubt you would have any concern though with DBG but I use them together and have them set to run on command line in addition to the regular scans. Its a hard process to make them run on the command line but worth it.

~Wiz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

  • Group:  Spammers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  0
  • Reputation:   2,859
  • Joined:  03/20/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Little late to this thread party, but I concur with Khalifa and HF on the effectiveness of Malwarebytes. I find it to be generally effective in removing 95% of any malware that I run into. The remaining 5% are fairly deep root kits of varying properties that require something a little more robust and root kit specific. ComboFix is my favorite, and although not specifically designed for root kits, is about as stout and effective as any other root kit removal solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  99
  • Reputation:   48
  • Joined:  03/24/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Little late to this thread party, but I concur with Khalifa and HF on the effectiveness of Malwarebytes. I find it to be generally effective in removing 95% of any malware that I run into. The remaining 5% are fairly deep root kits of varying properties that require something a little more robust and root kit specific. ComboFix is my favorite, and although not specifically designed for root kits, is about as stout and effective as any other root kit removal solution.

I never heard of ComboFix. I just so happen to have a root kit on my other computer. Strange thing is I can work around it with Firefox. I just won't check my financial information on it but otherwise I can still go online with it - play games, post and watch youtube. I'll surly look to try and get rid of it again. I even reinstalled the operating system and the root kit is still there. No biggie the computer is old anyway.

Forgive me I'm just catching up on things as I have been away from DBG for a while.

~Wiz

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Spammers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  0
  • Reputation:   2,859
  • Joined:  03/20/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I never heard of ComboFix. I just so happen to have a root kit on my other computer. Strange thing is I can work around it with Firefox. I just won't check my financial information on it but otherwise I can still go online with it - play games, post and watch youtube. I'll surly look to try and get rid of it again. I even reinstalled the operating system and the root kit is still there. No biggie the computer is old anyway.

Forgive me I'm just catching up on things as I have been away from DBG for a while.

~Wiz

Wow Wiz, you reinstalled the OS and still have the root kit? Did you do a repair install or clean format / reinstall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  99
  • Reputation:   48
  • Joined:  03/24/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

No that was the problem I only used the recovery disc that came with the computer. I don't think it formatted rather just installed what came with the computer and only repair (It did take away a few viruses). I'm not a really a Wiz LOL on how to format NTFS for XP. I was great in the days of DOS. I had Win95 and 98 working great. I will give that ComboFix a try. If I can save the computer why not right. No biggie though its junk really. But I had fun with it lets put it that way hehe

Thanks

~Wiz

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Spammers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  0
  • Reputation:   2,859
  • Joined:  03/20/2012
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

No that was the problem I only used the recovery disc that came with the computer. I don't think it formatted rather just installed what came with the computer and only repair (It did take away a few viruses). I'm not a really a Wiz LOL on how to format NTFS for XP. I was great in the days of DOS. I had Win95 and 98 working great. I will give that ComboFix a try. If I can save the computer why not right. No biggie though its junk really. But I had fun with it lets put it that way hehe

Thanks

~Wiz

Gotcha! That's definitely the issue then. Rootkits will often times survive repair installs, unless they're embedded in the files and registry keys you're overwriting. Anyway, definitely give combo fix a try. It's yet to fail me. Here's a link to download it at Bleeping Computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

RootRepeal from Major Geeks is also a great tool Similar, but more specific to root kits than Combo Fix, which is a great for any number of problems. Anyway, not a bad tool to have in your box, so to speak! LOL Here's a link:

http://majorgeeks.com/RootRepeal_-_Rootkit_Detector_d7058.html

Oh, and for future reference, formatting for NTFS in XP is really simple. If your recovery disc contains the full version of XP, just select a new install instead of a repair install when you run the disc. Then choose NTFS when prompted and it will do the rest. If you don't have a full version of XP, and would like one, just PM me and I'll give you a link where you can download an ISO copy that can be burnt to CD's, or mounted with a virtual machine tool. Not nearly as complex as it sounds though. Jewy's gotcha Wiz!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...